Evaluation of Intentions

Overall, I feel as though I have worked well and consistently throughout the project. I made a positive start and was working well with my inital research at the beginning and really enjoyed translating my colours and drawings into knit samples.

Using the Dubied machine has been a particularly difficult challenge to overcome however. I found myself becoming frustrated and began avoiding using them at all. I did however, decide to push through the hardest part- simply getting used to something new. I'm really glad that I did, as now, I feel that the Dubied can create really gorgeous fabric that both look and feels dramatically more finished and substantial than samples that are created using a domestic machine.

I feel as though this will be really positive in my future as a knit student/designer and will allow me to realise my designs and ideas. I can see a dramatic improvement in my skills on the Dubied already and feel that with practice, I could produce lovely work in the future.

I think that I need to work on balancing all aspects of the project, without allowing certain aspects to suffer as a result of me spending more time on other parts. As I began sampling, I found myself neglecting my sketchbook work. I have been documenting my progress via this blog but I feel that in the next project, it would be more beneficial to keep up to date with my sketchbook on a constant basis, rather than at the beginning of the project then letting it fizzle out.

I feel that my relationship with my fellow knit students and tutor Laura has helped me through hard points in my project and has meant that I have managed to talk through my ideas clearly. I've found that the group tutorials mean that I could see how other students were finding aspects of the unit and it meant that we could all share ideas and suggestions for improvement, something that should always be taken on board.

I feel as though I have given 100% in this unit and I am pleased to see all the hard work coming together, creating a body of work that I actually like.

I've really enjoyed being experimental with both process and materials in this project. I've tried to challenge certain knit processes such as using the intarsia carriage to knit strips with empty space surrounding them, using the pockets technique on the dubied but only creating one pocket and using latex with knitwear throughout the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment