First group tutorial.

Our first group tutorial allowed me to see other people in the group's method of working and how they begin a project. It also became apparent that many people had opted to do the "FuturePast" brief, which I found interesting as this was the brief that I crossed off the list immediately.

I felt as though I had made a good start and my direction was clear from the outset as I had a substantial body of work to share with the group and a clear concept set in place.

I explained my difficulties when photographing the smoke and how this had progressed to the ink photographs. They did receive a good reaction and I went on to explain the qualities that I liked about them.

Isobel then told me to try dropping hot, melted candle wax into cold water as this creates similar 3D shapes to the ink. This made a lot of sense to do as I was struggling to find a way to capture the 3D shapes of the ink falling through water- in fact it was impossible! So this did give me another way to do this.

I wanted to retain the transparency with the shapes and the candle wax will be a solid colour. I am hoping that these structures that are created are strong enough to cast in liquid latex, as this will provide me with the transparency that I wanted.

I am quite excited to try this out as the process is entirely new to me and it will allow my project to shift into 3D, as well as 2D- essential in creating shapes in the knit discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment