Ink photography

I was hoping to capture smoke through photography to represent the gas that my idea had stemmed from. The smoke photographs were okay, but not as dramatic as I would have liked. The subtle nature of the smoke photographs may be something to consider working with further into my project, however I wanted something more to work from at this point that also included some elements of colour.

I decided to take Beth's advice and photograph droplets of ink falling through water and these are the results. I personally think they are really beautiful and that they have captured the feeling of fluid transparency that I wanted to look at with the smoke.
 
 
The image (above) is one of my favourites out of the many that I had taken during my photography session. I love the ethereal and celestial element that this particular image has. I also like that the diffusion of the ink has revealed different colours that you wouldn't expect from black ink. The lilac/violet/blue tones react really well with the pistachio and khaki tones and stand away from the dark black/greys.
 


 
 
This is another example of introducing colour into the black ink. The scarlet ink contrasts beautifully with the greyish green tones of the diluted black ink.





The images that have been selected for this post display all of the qualities that all the photographs have in the series. I love the transparent, weightlessness of the ink as it fell through the space.

I also like the ways in which the colours can overlap but the sheer quality of the ink has allowed a reaction to take place, causing layering and sections of variation. The photographs required minimal Photoshop intervention. More photographs can also be found in my photography file.

No comments:

Post a Comment