Wolfgang Tillmans

After becoming aware that the theme of the new unit would be data, I wanted to look at some initial artists that I feel would be revelant to my idea. I wanted to look at artists that documented their ideas, whether that be through photography, drawing or other means.

I decided to look at the work of Wolfgang Tillmans, a fine art photographer who I was familiar with and I was aware that he documents and photographs things that interest him. The title of the book "if one thing matters, everything matters" implies that he considers the smaller things in life to be as significant as the major life events that occur.
When looking through Tillmans' book, I discovered that he keeps a diary of things of importance to him. The images appear to be disjointed and don't have a relationship with one another, as you would typically expect with a series of photographs. However they do share one thing in common- they matter to him.

I like the idea of documenting everything with a camera, however I have decided that I'm going to refine this right down and I want to base my project on doors.

I'll be interested to see if I can focus on layout in a similar way to Tillmans and allow the photographs to have a relationship with one and other.

I love the way that the subjects of the photographs are very unrelated and unexpected. They can even be shocking and sexually explicit but the honesty of them carries a lot of meaning and allows the audience to create their own "stories" about the images.

I also want to look at drawing a lot as well as photography so it would be beneficial to look at an artist that draws as well as photographs.



No comments:

Post a Comment