Cy Twombly

After looking at the ways in which Wolfgang Tillmans documents his subjects through photography, I wanted to look an artist that uses drawing and perhaps text within their work.


I have loved the work of Cy Twombly since I was initally introduced to him whilst studying A-Level art and I knew that he was the one to look at, especially when looking at text combined with drawing. The image above shows the use of pencil crayon and paint alongside rough sketches. These are then placed with handwritten text that is quite ambiguous and unreadable which is what I find quite fascinating with it.

I was first inspired to look at drawing with text when taking part in the drawing exercise. During the instruct someone "out of a maze" task, I started to use text in conjunction with my drawing and Nigel encouraged me to do more of them.

I feel that it will fit in with my chosen theme too, which is a bonus.


I am so intrigued by what Twombly was trying to say in these drawings. I like the way that you can make out some of the full words and in some instances just the odd letter here and there. Combined with the quite free and child-like drawings of a bike and what looks like a rocket ship just makes me even more curious as to what he was trying to convey.

I want my work to be intriguing and for the viewer to question and maybe apply their own narrative to the drawings and evetually the garments I am going to design whilst in Textile design for Fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment