Drawing exercises

Today was the beginning of a new set of drawing exercises that will be completed in the next fortnight.

Initially, I was a bit sceptical of taking part in the exercises as I've already completed many exercises that are similar whilst doing my art A-Level as well as my foundation course. I just thought "here we go again" but eventually I did quite enjoy the drawing processes.

We were restricted by a set of rules given to us to produce a drawing of concentric circles that were no more than 3mm apart, resulting in the image, left.

It was performed using the opposite hand that you were used to which meant that the lines had a different quality to ones that you would produce using your usual hand.

The lines almost take the appearance of contour lines on a map rather than the intended concentric circles that appear on the inner cross-section of a long.

The control was taken away from us in another way by drawing the same drawing, this time attaching the media to a long stick and using it as an extention of your arm. I found this extrememly difficult. All control was taken away and it was a constant battle to even get the charcoal to hit the area of the paper that you intended it to. This resulted in much scrappier and shaky lines, with an accidently achieved scratchy quality to them.

Then after the inital two exercises, we were told to create a drawing "to instruct someone to find their way out of a maze" using the lessons learned in the previous two exercises. I decided to use the alternate hand technique and draw and write using my left hand. It is difficult and can cause some physical pain but the quality of the line is noticably different when compared with the usual hand drawings.



No comments:

Post a Comment