Evaluation of Origins unit.

This unit was quite a difficult unit to start. At the beginning, it was difficult to know whether what work I was doing was appropriate and whether or not the staff would like the direction that I was taking my work in.

However, I soon realised that I had to get over any apprehension that I may have had as I knew a substantial body of work would be expected of me and I needed to produce a certain style of work to allow the tutors and members of staff to see how I worked most comfortably.

By nature, I am a perfectionist. I often create work that takes a lot of time and patience to complete to a standard that I am happy with, such as the pieces, left. This piece took a lot of time and meant that I perhaps could have produced more work had I decided to not complete these pieces. However, I enjoy working on something until it reaches the high and professional standard that I set myself.

Furthermore, even though some pieces in my sketchbook and a lot of my work outside of my studio sketchbook took a long amount of time, it did not interfere with my time management and I ensured that I completed all of the set tasks on time, such as the technical file containing my knitting samples, mood and colour boards etc.

I also allowed myself enough time to create some new knitting samples that reflected my sketchbook such as the image below.

This unit taught me how to interpret the drawings within my sketchbook through other techniques and media such as knit and weave.

I felt as though I managed to seek out my own contextual research well. I found a good level of personally sourced trend reasearch to ensure that my work would have a market and would be sellable within the textile industry. I also enjoy reading journals such as Elle Magazine and ensured that I kept an eye out for any contextual references that may have been relevant to my own practice.

Overall, I feel as though this unit has taught me that I can work in a way that I feel is personal and that I enjoy and it still allows me to manage my time and meet deadlines with time to spare. I feel as though I have worked extremely hard throughout this unit and it paid off and I acheieved a mark that I am proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment