WGSN

I luckily have gained access to Trend Forcasting website WGSN, which is allowing me to identify the key colours, trends, silhouettes etc for all areas in textiles which will mean that I can develop work that will be relevant if it was to be made into a product and it would be on trend for it's release.

Before going into knit within the Construct textile "world", I wanted to identify what would be on trend for knitwear in the coming seasons. I looked at this trend report entitled "Knitted Cooridnates" which automatically appealed to me and appeared to be relevant to my own methods of working.

WGSN analysis

  • Silhouette: sweaters are fitted, skirts are pencil or A-line shaped
  • Colour: monochromatic pattern or primary brights work well to maintain a retro feel, in keeping with the 1960s mood. Alternatively, use a darker palette of burnt reds, ochre, sage and navy for a more autumnal feel
  • Yarn & stitch: simple yarns and subtle knit-stitch completes this look. Use micro-geometric repeats, contrast-colour border placements, traditional cables and Fair Isle patterns. A play on variated scale and openwork or pointelle stitches look newest for this trend
  • For further 60s inspiration, view the recent 60s Modernist: spring/summer 2013 women's catwalk capsule trend
The analysis also allowed me to look at these images that give a general feel for the emerging trend


These outfits that the Trend Analysis provided shows clear use of geometric shapes and repeat pattern which are a point of interest in my own work. It would be a good idea for me to persist on using these patterns as it fits in well with this particular emerging trend.

There is some clear evidence of colour blocking, simplifying detail down into clear and quite structural shapes. I could take my own colour pallette and take shapes from drawings etc within my sketchbook.



No comments:

Post a Comment