Manchester Art Gallery, The First Cut exhibition.

I first visited the exhibition as part of the event that was put on by University, to try and allow people to network with artists, designers and other students from the school of art.

I decided to visit the exhibition again to get a real look at the work as I did initially find it very inspiring and was quite similar to the work that I like to create. A whole exhibition dedicated to artists that love to spend a great deal of time and effort into pieces of work that can sometimes be quite small in scale but very intricate and complex.



I was particularly interested in the work of Peter Callesen. I loved the delicacy of his work and the ways that he amazingly managed to cut a very complicated design into a single piece of card and allow it to remain attached to the page.

I liked some of the humour behind his pieces, particularly in the piece that features a man that is climbing up a "mountain" (a crumpled piece of paper). The man is absolutely tiny and is in perfect proportion to reality of a man climbing a mountain.

I'd love to try and complete my own versions of this kind of work, working with just paper and a scalpel and be clever in how I cut my paper in order for a shape to be formed that can still be attached to the page within my book.

See link for more Peter Callesen images http://twistedsifter.com/2012/11/sculptures-cut-from-single-piece-of-paper-peter-callesen/

No comments:

Post a Comment