Cutting and layering

After speaking to Laura during a tutorial in knit, she suggested that I play with layering of colour and the shapes that I have created throughout my book.




Inspired by The First Cut paper exhibition at Manchester Art Gallery, I decided that I would try and make some of the shapes that my prints are made up of and develop them from two dimensional shapes into three dimensional shapes, whilst allowing them to remain attached to the page. This would require a lot of careful planning and means that I will have to draw plans and figure out where my paper would remain attached to the page and where my 'anchor points' would be.

The shapes in this image (which are taken from a page in my sketchbook) have all been individually hand-cut with a scalpel and fold up to create a "V" shaped formation that can be folded back into the sketchbook page to lay flat again.

I carefully drew out all of the shapes and ensured that they were equally spaced and created a pattern within themselves. They are quite interactive too, given that they shapes when laid flat create a pattern and then when folded up they develop into a new pattern that can be altered as the audience pleases.

No comments:

Post a Comment