Karla Black: Materials

After exploring the theme of idealism/perfection through a series of spider diagrams and bullet points, I felt that it would be useful to look at some artist reference points. When exploring perfectionism in terms of our appearance, I thought that it would be interesting to look at cosmetic products and how I could use these as a way of drawing/painting. I intend to use make-up products alongside other materials that could be associated with beautification in an unconventional method.

2011 Turner Prize nominee, Karla Black, also explores using these materials to create other-worldly sculptural forms, primarily focusing on materials. In YouTube interview "Karla Black: Structure and Materials" she explains that she is "not using toiletries for their connotations". I, however hope to explore the connotations of these materials in order to translate my theme from language to visual imagery (which can be a challenge at this early stage in a project).


Black's piece "At Fault" (above) showcases an entire range of materials including bath bombs, plaster and paint powder, petroleum jelly and make-up. The blend and combination of materials is deliciously tactile and almost dares you to touch it. The range of ice cream colours are not intended to be feminine, however the association with the colours exude a girly childishness. 


The soft nature of the colours are beautiful and I feel that some of the pastel shades may apply to my work but my colour palette will be established once my own visuals start to take shape. Additionally, I want to be bold and brave with my colour choices and perhaps clash a series of unexpected colours.

I also love the dynamic 'movement' to the sculptural forms. The torn edges of paper, the scattering of powders and liquids and crushing of bath bombs give life to the work. I would also like to retain a sense of life to my work and could use the actions of what make-up is intended for when creating my paintings and drawings eg; to cover, to enhance, to colour, to decorate, to layer




No comments:

Post a Comment