Final Major Project; ideas

Deciding on a theme for my Final Major project has been horrid. It seems like a very important thing and I have felt that it is imperative to get it right. I wanted to approach my project in the same way that I had loved when creating my trend book with Beth in last year's Unit X. 

We identified a problem or issue that could affect the design world, listed the issues surrounding it and then began to translate it into visuals that formed the basis of our trend book. I intend to then push the visual imagery that I generate further and use these as a springboard towards creating final outcomes towards the end of the project.

After much frustrating deliberation, I had identified that as a society, we are very much fixated on our appearance and aesthetic. We are obsessed with body image. Make up, diet and even surgery are all avenues that are explored in an attempt to be what is now deemed to be "perfect".

After brainstorming a huge collection of ideas, I wanted to make it clear to myself that it was possible to make these ideas visual before carrying it any further, so I decided to make a 'verb list' that I could then use to explore with materials.

I firstly considered what make-up is used for;

To conceal
To resurface/smooth/cover
To enhance
To colour
To alter
To decorate
To layer
To add shine/mattify

I was satisfied that this would give me lots of avenues to explore and with a selection of materials this would mean that the outcomes could be varied dramatically.

I also looked at cosmetic surgery;

To reconstruct
To enhance
To cut
To remove
To make bigger/smaller
To tighten
To pull
To fill/inject/smooth

I then considered the materials that could be associated with cosmetics and cosmetic surgery. I immediately thought of using the products themselves (make up etc) and silicone, plastics and synthetic materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment