Visualisations of context

 I decided that the best way to attempt showing my samples in their intended context would be to photograph the samples pinned to a mannequin.

I was slightly apprehensive about trying to manipulate my samples into shapes that represented my samples in the way that I wanted them to look. I tried out several combinations with each of the samples but only decided that a small number of these worked.

I am pleased with the samples themselves, however I feel that these visualisations may work better if the samples were created more with the body in mind and were created in the shapes of blocks so that the intended use of the sample could be visually realised.



I spoke to Sue after taking the photographs and discussing the difficulties of pinning them to a mannequin in a shape that is not appropriate. She understood the difficulties that I had and suggested that in the future it may be better to work using the blocks to shape the samples. She informed me that she worked to an 8th scale (creating samples to the 8th of the intended size) as she did when she was a freelance knitwear designer. It all makes perfect sense now and I feel that the next unit will be a good oppertunity to explore silhouette further and to also brush up on my shaping skills to create sleeves, front panels etc.




 Although I do not feel that these photographs work as well as they could, I feel that the samples would work well in a fashion context, if they were given the shapes that they needed in order to hang beautifully on the body.




No comments:

Post a Comment