Museum photographs


Waiting for my appointment time to photograph the human remains collection at the musuem was a little frustrating and at times I felt that the research aspect of my project were really suffering. I'll know in the future that I need to pre-organise my visit well in advance, in order to get my research sooner.
Sally, who organised my appointment also informed me that they have a wide collection of other objects of interest, such as crystals, taxidermy, fossils. This could be useful for future projects, so it was a good connection to have made.


I was left with a collection of human bones by the museum curator. I basically had free reign with the bones and was even allowed to handle them. I did (at times) feel some pangs of uneasiness when I considered that I'm actually holding human bones, however I needed to just take the photographs. The image, above, is of detail found on several areas of most of the bones that I was presented with. I love the spongy, irregular texture, something not typically associated with bones. I also think the placement of the texture is really interesting and something that could be considered when sampling.
 
 
This second image also shows some details that I found interesting. The irregular, wavy lines that appear to be cracks are in fact the bones that are separated at birth and fuse together as you progress through to adulthood. I found the marks organic and beautiful. The rest of the images can be found in my sketchbook.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment