Yarn Bombing- Knitta, Please

Interactive public art group Knitta, Please are well known for the act of "Yarn Bombing" which involves attaching knitting to objects in the street such as trees, lamp posts, post boxes etc.

 We all found this process to be quite interesting and thought that it might be a way of reconstruction- by wrapping thread or yarn around a broken object to hold it all together.

As a group, we also liked the interactive nature of the process- perhaps we should all learn to knit?

I also find the bright and punchy colours to be quite fun and playful. I also like the idea that it challenges the traditional misconception that knitting is a dated and "old" process and can now in fact be likened to removable graffiti. I also like the secret nature of the art in the street.

I also like the idea of using knitting on a larger scale, using broom handles as needles, lengths of fabric tied together to act as yarn- creating an unusual cloth that could be used as part of our concept.

I do love the bright use of colour, however I feel that it might be too early for us to decide on a colour palette without everyone else's input.



No comments:

Post a Comment