Susie MacMurray


Christopher, a member of our group attended a lecture by Susie MacMurray on behalf of the group. As he spoke fondly of her work and the entire group liked the images that we were presented with, I decided to look a little further into her work.

The piece above, entitled "The Promenade" shows people wrapping gold thread continuously around pillars of what appears to be a historical building.

The idea of an installation had already come up in conversations with the group and I think this idea is amazing. It also relates well to the idea of "Yarn Bombing" as discussed in my previous post.

I love the visual aspect of this particular piece. The thread has been wrapped so many times that it gives the appearance of motion blurring.

I also like her considered use of just one block colour. I think the gold is extremely effective and if any other colours had been used it may have caused the colours of the building to clash.

I think the idea of using a single colour is a challenging one but one that is becoming more and more appealing as the body of our work progresses.

I also like the sheer effort put into this piece. It is obviously a time consuming task but that is something that tends to appeal to my particular way of working and I'm not afraid to take part in a task that I know will take days or weeks to complete- usually because I know that the end result will justify the amount of time spent on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment