Protective Knit?

I had initially started to create knit samples that related to my initial drawings and practical work. However, I did not feel that they were fulfilling my ideas of being protective.

Having worked with latex throughout the project, it made sense to try and coat a sample in latex, hoping that it would dry clear and retain the appearance of knitwear, but becoming waterproof and impermiable.

As you can tell through the photographs of my samples, the knitting has taken a different form and has become more sculptural as a material. I find the way in which all of the gaps in between the stitches of yarn have become enclosed with rubber really interesting and I am really pleased that it has turned out the way that I hoped.

The only thing that I am not as keen on is the yellow tone that the fabric has taken on. This is due to the natural properties of undyed liquid latex so perhaps it would be benefical for me to colour the latex (as before) or try and use it thinly to allow it to remain transparent and colourless.
 
The image (above) also shows the hole that had been created by using partial knit to be sealed up by latex, creating a window like effect. I feel as though this could be something that could be taken further within the project. I could perhaps introduce colour into the window sections of the samples.
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment