Problem Solving.

After it became apparent that I could not e-wrap the strips into my knitting, I had to think of an alternative as quickly as possible, so as not to waste time.

I concluded that if the machine could not take the latex, then I would have to hand-knit with it instead.

I decided to knit a long length using elastic on the domestic, and then allow the latex to cover this length. I felt that the matte nature of the elastic would work well with the transparency and colours of the latex and in addition, the stretch might allow for some room to manipulate when hand knitting.

There some problem in finding a way to lay the latex out onto the yarn and allowing it to dry. When the sheeting was laid flat, the latex splurged out and wouldn't stay in place. I therefore created a channel using spare leaflets for the latex to sit within.
I then had to find somewhere to lay out the long length in order to apply the latex and allow it to dry.
 
The studio was the only option that I had in order to allow it to dry and even then it took much longer than anticipated and needed drying with a hair dryer.

I was, by this point stressed up to the eyeballs with it but I felt as though progress had been made by the time the yarn had dried and it was time to begin knitting my sample with it.

Even though 8 metres is a long length, in terms of knitting yarn, I feel it will not make a very large sample. This is a little disappointing, however logistical problems and time constraints mean that it is impractical for me to make a longer length in order to create a larger sample.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment