Style vs Function

I also felt that it was important to address the style vs function debate that has arisen when developing my context. This idea came to me after visiting the Miles Aldridge exhibition at Somerset House, London (see blog post).

I felt that the gas mask was a good place to explore this topic and decided to look at the traditional and functional gas mask and compare it to other variations that can be found in art and fashion.

The image (left) shows the German World War II gas mask that was widely distributed to both soldiers and civilians. The glass eyes and rubber shell provided a level of protection and respiration against chemical gas attacks that were a regular happening throughout the war.


I then tried to find a stylised version of the traditional gas mask and then discovered the "Mickey Mouse Mask" that was designed and manufactured for children to wear during the war.
I feel that this particular mask shows that functionality can be retained and left uncompromised, whilst being aesthetically pleasing and quite dramatically different to the traditional mask that can be seen above. I want the work that I create to be functional and provide protection, but I want the audience to WANT to wear the gear, not just because they have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment