Taking control of my study

As intended, I decided that I needed to speak to a textiles tutor as I have had very little contact with any tutor from my programme throughout unit X. I wanted to speak to someone about the difficulties and troubles I have had in my group and discuss how it had made me feel.

I managed to speak to my course leader immediately, which was a lovely surprise. She was quite happy to sit down and go through what I was feeling and was also happy to listen to the issues that have dogged unit X.

Firstly, I told her about how missing two tutorials has spiraled into being expelled from the group so close to the final deadline. I was obviously upset by it and even though I had been proactive and started making and had planned with what little time I had, I still felt like I was on my very last nerve with the entire unit.

She then told me that what I was feeling was completely normal, especially given the situation and that I was being brave by continuing alone and credited the fact that I have used my initiative and continued without anyone and had planned to create my own piece. She also agreed that I should not be forced or bullied into 'plonking' my work with other pieces where it was neither wanted or did not fit. This was such a reassurance to me.

Kate went on to say how she felt that this was a massive progressive learning curve for me and that it has taught me to be strong and stand up for ideas that I think are strong enough to work. She understood the issues that I have been made to deal with but she has reassured me that it would help my practice in the future and that it meant that I could stay in control.

This was probably the best thing about the entire unit so far for me and at the end of it I felt as though a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders. 

No comments:

Post a Comment