Hanging my final piece.

As an alternative venue could not be sourced at such short notice, through no fault of my own, I decided that I would have to hang my piece on the staircase of Hilton House.

The place was filthy, dusty and had very little hanging space so this presented an entirely new set of challenged that needed to be dealt with. I went back to my flat and returned armed with cleaning product and sponged and decided that I wanted to clean the area before hanging my work in order to retain an element of professionalism.

I then decided that the sculpture could hang in front of one of the windows. This would allow the light to shine through the letters and cast shadows within the rest of the exhibition space. Leaving this window slightly ajar has meant that the letters can move and appear floating (see video). I feel as though this movement lends another element to the final piece and is really effective and in some ways is quite eerie in the way that they float and spin weightlessly.

Hanging the sculpture was probably the hardest part of this stage of the make. I was climbing all over the venue, standing on window ledges that were barely wide enough for my feet to fit on and being afraid of heights did not help. However, I needed to just grin and bear it as the piece needed hanging within a certain time frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment