Group difficulties

This week, I have been taken ill and was unable to attend the tutorials that we were scheduled in for. I trusted that the rest of the group would attend (as they did) and then pass on information to myself. This was not the case.

I was informed by fellow TIP member, Shannon, that the final ideas that we had decided we were going to carry forwards had changed in their entirety. So after having my back turned for two sessions, my ideas were completely disregarded and thrown out by the group- to which I was understandably furious and frustrated. 

I have been present for the majority of the tutorials and group sessions and that allowed me to voice my opinions, share my views and offer my own spin on ideas that may not have been going in a direction that I would see best. As I was not there, I was unable to fight for my voice to be heard amongst the group. I could not believe my ears to hear that NONE of the final ideas now included ANY of my ideas whatsoever. Had I been talking to myself for the entirety of this unit? Had I just been wasting my time, creating work to a high standard for it to go unnoticed?

The fashion students had clearly taken hold of the reins as the one and only final piece being carried through was a coat. I, personally cannot pattern cut and I am assuming that the film and media students also do not have any garment constructing experience so I felt that this was unfair as we could not help to construct this final piece.

I feel as though a garment led final piece was always pushed for by tutor Eleanor and this had obviously spurred the fashion students to create a fashion led final piece.

After being ignored on several occasions on the Facebook group that we had created to communicate with the each other, Shannon was oh so kindly offered to put her work within the pockets of the coat. I know that this did not give me or her the credit and recognition that we deserve for the work that we had put into this unit and I was not offered any form of inclusion. Wonderful.

Upon this, I was thrown in to panic mode and decided that it was time for me to create a final piece of my own. This was not my first choice but I would have been left with absolutely nothing to present so I decided to start developing my own ideas and began attempting to source a location of which to display. This left me with one weekend and two days before the show had been up, so naturally I felt as though the group had left me in the lurch but I refused to be defeated, even at such short notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment