Further use of cut paper

I decided to stick to my minimalist looks for the work I have been creating. I felt that it was important to look at the form of my letters rather than introducing a colour palette immediately. This helped me make the decision of using the pages within a sketchbook as the main basis for a new chapter in my journey through unit X.

The idea was to layer the cut letters over the top, so that nuances of the letters could be seen through other slices in the letters. I feel that this could have been done with a little bit more consideration as you can only see some of the letters from pages one and two, rather than three four and five. I could do this again and layer them up again to see through them, however I think that if I shine a bright light through them it will reveal a soft outline of where the other cut letters are.

This is a progression from the code that I have created, still using the same letters that can be found within the code.


I like the contrast of the stark white paper against the shadows and negative space created by the sliced paper. I also like that within that negative space some of the darkness is divided up by slices of white and other lighter shades of grey (above image)


I have been quite selective in the angle of which my photos have been taken. I feel that it creates an interesting composition and creates a sense of ambiguity, drawing the audience in. Automatically with text, you want to read it and learn to understand it immediately. In some images you can just see a few letters, leaving you wanting to construct whole words or phrases from what is given to you.




No comments:

Post a Comment