Weaving

During my time in weave, I've learned that choosing my yarns carefully is an essential part of creating a successful weave.
I have an interest in colour anyway so experimenting with colour through yarns was a new challenge and a new way of working that I'm still getting used to. I've tried many combinations ranging from mainly neutral colours in a selection of creams and beiges with flashes of a bright colour such as lime green and hot orange and then the other way round, using brighly coloured yarns and cooling the pallette down with softer biscuity tones.
I devised my warp by creating a series of yarn wrappings around card and seeing how the colours interact with each other. I opted for a cooler pallette, using creams, beiges, biscuits and other neutral tones with  flashes of yellow, lime green and blue with the occasional end of orange in the weft.


  Threading up in weave was the most challenging process of creating woven fabric. Using the mill was quite a confusing part of the job. Counting the ends whilst spinning the mill in a particular way was a challenge in itself. I then though that it may have been over for the time consuming jobs. I was wrong. I then was shown how to raddle on and then thread up which took hours and hours and then each and every single individual yarn had to be passed through a very narrow metal framework.
Then the weaving began, learning how to convert a grid into knowing which shafts needed to be lifted and in what order was also difficult and could be compared to learning a new language. However, with practice, weaving did become easier and I did begin to get into the rhythm of it and did start to enjoy the process on the whole.
 



Whilst acutally weaving, I decided to use structures that reflected my work within my sketchbook. My work is generally quite structured and well considered so I wanted to choose structures that showed some sort of pattern and order such as "Tile" (below


 
 
 "Stripe" (below)



 
 
"Crater" (below)
 
 
 
 
and finally "Diamond" (below)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment